Thursday 25th February 2021
Year 3 Home Learning -Term 4 Week 1
Thursday 25th February
Welcome to Thursday’s blog. Don’t forget to send your nominations for ‘forgiveness’ by the end of the day today. Please send your teacher a message if you need any resources/support.
Here is an outline of the work we would like you to complete today.
Spell words containing the phonemes sp, st, sw, tr and tw. Use your segmenting and blending skills to sound out each word. This is set as a 2Do on Purple Mash.
Practice your phonics knowledge by using www.phonicshero.com. Phonics Hero has fun and interactive games that build reading and spelling skills gradually and teaches the 44 different sounds. If your login is not in your child’s contact book, please message your teacher for the login details!
Read Chapter 4 of Henry the Elephant. As the loggers arrive, Henry appears with something special. Has he done enough to stop the loggers destroying the animals' home? Test your understanding of the chapter by completing the 2Do Quiz.
Use www.letterjoin.co.uk to support today’s handwriting practice. Log on to your account with the Username: wk25530 and Password: home.
Today you are going to continue to practice writing verbs (doing words) in different forms. Can you remember the rule for using suffixes? Remember to drop the ‘e’ before adding ‘ed’ or ‘ing’. Use the resource sheet to practice your handwriting. Start each word with your pencil on the line to form an ascender. Don’t forget to make your straight letters tall and your lazy letters under the line!
Today we will continue reading Krindlekrax by Philip Ridley. Begin by accessing the recorded video to listen to Chapters 6, 7 and 8. Today we are learning to compare two characters. What are the similarities and differences between Ruskin Splinter and Elvis Cave? Create a character comparison to compare their appearance and personality. Watch this English lesson to view a WAGOLL and to explain the learning.
Begin by working out the four challenges in the maths starter. Don’t forget to show your working out! Then move on to Fluency, Reasoning and Problem Solving. Today we are continuing our learning on equivalent lengths. We will learn to recognise that 10mm is equivalent to 1cm. We will then use this knowledge to convert other multiples of 10mm into centimetres. Watch this video to take you through the learning: https://vimeo.com/504918866
Topic – Science
Today we will learn about the life cycle of a plant. Begin by watching this video to find out about plant development. Read the process below. Can you draw a picture for each stage of the life cycle? Ensure your life cycle is presented in a circular diagram with key words labelled.
- New plants grow from seeds. The root is the first part of the plant to grow from the seed. The seed absorbs moisture from the soil and starts to expand. The seed coat softens and a young root starts to grow inside the seed.
- After a few days, the seed coat splits and a young root grows into the soil. The young plant is surviving and growing using a supply of food inside the seed.
- The young root starts to grow out into the soil, forming new strands. They start to absorb water and minerals. Inside the seed, a young shoot is growing...
- The roots continue to grow into the soil. The food source inside the seed is used up. A shoot grows out of the seed and up through the surface of the soil. The empty seed coat is no longer needed to protect the plant.
- The shoot and the root continue to grow. Water and minerals absorbed by the roots help the plant stand upright and make food. The roots also anchor the plant, helping it to stay upright and in place.